Sunday, May 2, 2010

Labs and the Landform- explanation; link to the scientists

The lab designed for Charles Darwin is not a very exciting model, but is made so by the landform that surrounds it. I chose this particular landform (a cave) because of Darwin's particular interest in fossils, and how observing the past through geology can give us key insight into how we have evolved.
Although the quote I selected from him does not reflect this, I feel that I have used it in my model through my personal perspective on it; which is that Darwin is being a bit sarcastic and jovial in his self-abuse of limiting his career to merely churning out facts and figures. I think that he knows that there's a lot more to science than that, and I feel that this lab, embedded within the earth, would be a good place for him to feel a deeper connection with what he is analysing.

The lab for Stephen Hawking is less complex in meaning; I took his quote more directly and felt that he should be able to look out at space- both for inspiration and scientific experiment. His fondness for the 'human spirit' would, I feel, be explored well in an outdoor place such as this.

The ramp is part of the natural landform, linking to two scientists in a place where they can look out over the sea and the land. It also creates a cyclic path between the two labs, representing the shift in ideas from Darwin to Hawking; the latter being inspired by the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment