Monday, April 26, 2010

Black Box


I chose this slide because I feel that it explores the idea of the 'shadow' in great depth. I particularly like the interplay of shadows on adjacent blocks, and how the shadows create very different areas in the piece- for example making the passageways between the blocks very scary.
Rather than creating the blocks and then drawing in the shadows, the shadows have been taken as the base of the composition, with white lines forming the shapes over the top. This process leads to a more interesting exploration of what a shadow is.

I also like the use of texture; particularly the use of more or less dense cross-hatching to emphasize perspective, but also to allow bits of the background to show through. Overall, it is a very interesting composition, and I hope to use ideas from it in my final model.

No comments:

Post a Comment